Learn about the history of special education and how students with learning disabilities have become able to participate in normal activities with their peers.
9 Special Education Trends
- 1983: 1 of 5 children with disabilities were educated in a regular school.
- 2012: NOW, thanks to IDEA, 96 % of children with disabilities are educated in regular schools.
- 4: percentage of children in 2012 with disabilities enrolled in schools for students with disabilities.
- 4.1 million: number of children and youth, ages 3-21 receiving special ed services in 1980-81
- 6.7 million: number (same age) in 2004-05, OR 14 % of total public school enrollment
- 6.4 million: number (same ages) in 2010-11, OR 13 % of total public school enrollment
- 50: percentage of students with disabilities that spend at least 80% of their day in regular classrooms.
- 3X: College enrollment rates among students with disabilities have more than tripled in the last 20 years.
- 2X: Special education teaching force has more than doubled in the last 20 years.
You can adjust your cookie preferences here.