21 Communication Skills for Post High School Success Infographic
Communication skills that truly matter help us develop significant relationships, find meaningful answers, and solve important problems. The way we represent ourselves through the ways we communicate also can mean the difference between success and failure when it comes to our goals. We can do our learners a great service by ensuring we focus on the importance of having good communicating skills.
The 21 Communication Skills for Post High School Success Infographic is based on educator and author Lisa Ann Johnson’s book Cultivating Communication in the Classroom. It offers practical advice on designing classroom instruction for helping learners master their communication skills. Johnson’s book also reinforces the need for us as teachers to ensure that we are helping our students develop communication skills for success, as a transparent part of regular instruction.
The benefits of such skills for our learners can include:
- Stronger decision-making and problem-solving
- Increased productivity
- Convincing and compelling writing and speaking
- Clearer, more streamlined workflow
- Enhanced professional image
- Sound business relationships
- More successful teamwork initiatives
- Higher levels of self-confidence
Students are expected to be innovators, creative thinkers, and problem solvers. But what if they can′t communicate their ideas persuasively? Knowing how to share ideas is as crucial as the ideas themselves. Unfortunately, many students don’t get explicit opportunities to hone this skill.
Cultivating Communication in the Classroom will help educators design authentic learning experiences that allow students to practice their skills. Readers will find:
- Real world insights into how students will be expected to communicate in their future careers and education
- Strategies for teaching communication skills throughout the curriculum
- Communication Catchers for igniting ideas