- 6 % of undergraduates and 4 percent of graduate students in 4-year colleges have “seriously considered attempting suicide” in the past year—and nearly half of each group did not tell anyone.
- 3X: The suicide rate among young adults, ages 15-24, has tripled since the 1950s and Suicide is currently the 2nd most common cause of death among college students.
- 1,100: number of suicides that occur at colleges every year – that’s roughly 7.5 per 100,000 students. 1 in 12: number of college students who have actually made a suicide plan at some point 1.5: number of college students out of every 100 who have actually attempted it.
- 2X as many young men, ages 20-24, commit suicide, compared with young women.
- In the past 50 years, the suicide rate for those age 15-24 increased by over 200%.
- 12 people aged 15-24 will commit suicide today – that is one about every two hours.