Physical Activity in School Infographic
Physical Activity in School is absolutely vital for kids.
- Obesity has more than doubled in children and tripled in adolescents in the past 30 years.
- Obese youth are more likely to have risk factors for long-term cardiovascular disease, such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure.
- Children who are obese are at greater risk for bone and joint problems, sleep apnea, and poor self-esteem.
How Much Physical Activity Do Children Need?
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends that youth participate in at least 60 minutes of physical activity daily. Types of activity include:
- Bone- Strengthening
How Much Physical Activity Occurs In Our Schools?
- 3.8% at Elementary Schools
- 7.9% at Middle Schools
- 2.1% at High Schools
Benefits of Physical Activity For The Mind
- Improved concentration and memory
- Faster cognitive processing speed
- Increased performance on standardized academic tests