Pros and Cons of MOOCs
8 Pros of MOOCs
- Provide a solution to overcrowding.
- Force professors to improve lectures.
- Create a dynamic archive.
- Are designed to ensure that students keep up. MOOCS are real college courses, complete with tests and grades.
- Bring people together from all over the world.
- Allow teachers to make the most of classroom time in blended classes.
- Offer interesting business opportunities. MOOC companies launched in 2012: edX by Harvard and MIT; Coursea, a Stanford company; and Udacity, which focuses on science and tech.
8 Cons of MOOCs
- Low graduation rate: estimated at about 10%
- Easier for students to drop out
- Do not offer much support for struggling students?
- Interactivity, a challenge. [When you have…150,000 students]
- Grading papers is impossible.
- Miss the magic of human interaction (in small groups)
- Will shrink faculties, eventually eliminating them.