Awesome Ways to Use Technology to Your Advantage During College Infographic
Technology can be a huge help in college. It can help you communicate, find information, share resources, add comfort to your dorm room, remind you of deadlines, and so much more. It can also be a huge time-suck, distraction, and temptation. There’s no doubt that you need solid technology on campus (for work and for fun) and that college students tend to be some of the most-gadgetized early adopters of new tech.
Gotta-Get Gadgets for Dorm Survival
- Mini fridge
- Compact microwave
- Digital pets and plants
- Coffee maker
Stay Social the Smart Way
- E-mail: Learn to put the power of filters to work for you in order to manage your inboxes.
- Reddit: An excellent source for news, tips, answers, and community participation
- Facebook: Be careful on what you post, especially if you're ''friends" with professors.
- LinkedIn: Build and maintain an online resume for professional networking purposes.
Tech Skills for College
- Typing speed and accuracy
- Netiquette: Online awareness and respect
- Security: Privacy awareness
- Research know-how (beyond Google and Wikipedia)
- Word Processing
Things to Avoid
- Plagiarism: A serious offense that could get you expelled.
- Smartphones: Don’t just silence them, turn them off during class so you wont be tempted.
- Handbook No-No's: Know the rules about what's banned when its the university's bandwidth
- Excuses: “I didn't check my email in time” or “maybe it is in my spam folder” won't fly in terms of assignments.