The Future Of IoT: Welcome To The Brave New World—Infographic
Internet of Things (IoT): home appliances, vehicles, portable devices and other gadgets that are connected to the internet and exchange data with each other.
26.66 billion: the number of IoT connected devices around the globe
There are 3 IoT devices for every human on Earth.
How Many IoT Devices Will There Be?
- 30 billion by 2020
- 75 billion by 2025
- .06% of "things" that could be connected to the internet actually are
How The Future Will Look With IoT
The room for potential is quite big. These are the key areas of our lives IoT will influence: homes, smart cities, vehicles, and work.
Within the next 2 years, smart devices will be filling our homes.
In 10 years a smart home with interconnected devices will become standard practice.
$53 billion: the projected growth of the global smart home market by 2022
The hierarchy of a smart home: Master Bot—Service Bot—Niche Bot
Who are the major players in the market? Apple, Amazon, Google, and Samsung.
66% of US cities are investing in smart city technologies. Nearly half of the ongoing smart cities projects are developed in Europe.
How Can IoT Make Our Big City Life Easier?
- Determining the roads, rails, and bridges that need to undergo reconstruction
- The extent of their degradation
- Extreme temperatures that may cause damage
- Heavy traffic
- Locating empty parking spots
- Monitoring pollution levels, wildlife counts, water runoff
- Health monitoring of buildings
- Advanced warning systems in emergency situations
- By 2020, 75% of all the cars around the world will be connected to the internet
- 100% of sold cars will be connected by 2025
- In 2020 the development of driverless cars is supposed to enter mass production
5 levels of autonomous driving cars:
- No automation
- Driver assistance
- Partial automation
- Conditional automation
- High automation
- Complete automation
How willing are we to let robots drive our cars?
- 78% of Americans are afraid of riding in a self-driving car
- 54% of US drivers don't feel safe sharing the road with driverless cars
- 59% of US drivers want autonomous vehicle technology in their next vehicle
- 34% feel it wouldn't make a difference
- 10% say they would feel safer
- 25% are not sure
- 16% are unsure
The smart office market was valued at USD 22.21 billion in 2017 and is expected to reach USD 46.11 billion by 2023.
Benefits of smart offices
- More efficient office operations
- Energy saving
- Comfortable work environments
- Increased employee productivity
- The cost of its implementation is high
- Employee privacy can be tampered with
- It greatly depends on some external factors like WiFi or power supply
How IoT Can Transform Office Spaces
- Smart thermostat to determine the most effective workplace temperature
- Access control systems instead of conventional keys and locks
- Advanced digital assistance
- Smart lighting to control indoor and outdoor lighting
- Telepresence during conferences