First Graders' Exposure to Technology in the Classroom Infographic
The First Graders' Exposure to Technology in the Classroom Infographic uses findings from the 2010-11 Early Childhood Longitudinal Study to illustrate a picture of student access to common electronic devices and teachers’ training in use of technology in the classroom.
Electronic devices are shaping how information is shared and taught in classrooms across the country, from rural to urban and suburban communities. Exposure to these technologies is vital to future academic achievement and a successful transition into the workforce.
Findings based on a national early childhood study show how many first-graders have access to common electronic devices at school and how many have teachers who are recently trained on effective use of computers and technology in the classroom.
One-to-One Computing in the Classroom
One-to-one computing classrooms are those in which one device is available for every student. This balance of resources to students is advantageous for creating a more engaging and personalized learning environment.
- Very few first graders are in classrooms with at least one computer per student.
- However, 28% are in a classroom that can become a one-to-one setting if the teacher borrows additional school computers.
Whiteboards in the Classroom: Where in the US are They?
- Interactive whiteboards represent a newer technology that offers teachers flexibility in how instruction is delivered.
- 66% of first graders in the United States are in a classroom with an interactive whiteboard. However, availability and frequency of use can vary by where a child lives.
Professional Development: How Prepared are Teachers to Use Technology Effectively?
- In order to effectively use technology in the classroom, teachers must have the necessary knowledge base and skills to utilize the tools in meaningful ways.
- 70% of first graders have a teacher who reported participating in at least one professional development workshop on using computers and technology in the classroom in the last 12 months.
Although very few first graders are in a one-to-one classroom environment, 91% of those first graders have teachers who participated in technology-focused professional development.
Of first graders in classrooms that can become a one-to-one environment when additional computers are borrowed, 71% have a teacher that participated in technology-focused professional development.
- 79% of students who are in classrooms where the teacher uses a whiteboard frequently...
- 79% have a teacher who participated in technology-focused professional development.
Notes: These findings are drawn from the Early Childhood Longitudinal Study, Kindergarten Class of 2010-11 (ECLS-K:2011) first grade wave. The ECLS-K:2011 is a nationally representative sample of kindergartners from the 2010-11 school years. Estimates only include students who were in first grade in the 2011-2012 school year. This information draws upon restricted-use data. Classroom technology information is based on teacher reports of availability of resources and frequency of use.