Knowledge Sharing: Scalable Efficiency vs Scalable Learning Infographic
To adopt scalable learning within your organisation today, you need to challenge your conventional beliefs about learning in general.
For Learning & Development Professionals
Knowledge management systems became popular to make existing knowledge more accessible in the form of:
- knowledge repositories and
- directories of expertise.
- New knowledge creation is the most valuable form of learning.
- Organisations develop new knowledge on what works and what doesn’t work in specific situations.
1990’s: “scalable efficiency”
Today: “scalable learning”
Explicit vs Tacit Knowledge
- Explicit Knowledge: E.g. Process manuals - knowledge that can be written down and easily shared
- Tacit Knowledge: For example, ability to speak a language or play an instrument - difficult to transfer to another person
Individuals vs Workgroups & Networks
- Individuals: Individuals are the primary focus of learning
- Workgroups & Networks: Leaders bring together people with diverse skills to form trust-based relationships.
Learning vs Performance Improvement
- Learning: Upfront investment is necessary to develop course materials and take people out of their work
- Performance Improvement: Learning leads to performance improvement. Learning happens in the work environment as new performance challenges arise. Performance improvement leads to learning.
Learning vs Unlearning
- Learning: Staff keep piling new knowledge on top of their existing knowledge.
- Unlearning: Assumptions and beliefs about what is required to achieve impact are constantly challenged.
Skills vs Capabilities
- Skills: The focus is on acquiring a given set of skills. Cultivating the underlying capabilities accelerates learning, so that new skills can be rapidly acquired.
- Capabilities: To adopt scalable learning within your organisation today, you need to challenge your conventional beliefs about learning in general.
Watch & Learn is a Webanywhere mobile learning app that maximises knowledge sharing on the job to provide your workforce with performance support.